Friday, January 14, 2022

Trees and Chickadees

Little birds are amazing in their resilience. It is always mind-boggling to me that they can survive winter storms, where do they go? How did the Lord make them so that warm blood flows in their tiny toothpick legs when everything else is frozen? My feet are always cold, I wonder how the little birds feet stay warm. One day I was walking, I had been asking the Lord to help me, I need his reassurance, peace, and help so often. On this walk, I noticed that every time I came closer to small birds, they flew up to a higher place, like a pine tree. The Lord told me he wants me to be like the little birds that are always returning to their tree for safety. He wants to be my safe place, and where I constantly return when I need peace and reassurance. Like the pine trees, with branches that are green all year, his love is always there for me. 

Another time I went on a walk, as a strong wind was ushering in a heavy winter storm.  Tiny balls of ice and snow had begun to pelt the ground. Being outside while wind and clouds are gathering for a storm is awesome if you are dressed warm. I passed a wide and towering evergreen tree with snow and icicles on its thick branches. Close to the trunk of the tree, out of the wind, was a little black and white chickadee. This little bird was chirping insistently, and looking right at me. It kept chirping as if it had a message for me. It seemed to say, "I'm OK, I'm safe, here by my tree." Jesus is our safe place, our shelter, our hiding place, especially in the trials we go through. 



Chickadees are small, and might seem insignificant, but they are hopeful, joyful, and resilient. It is amazing to me that they can survive the cold temperatures and winter snow. How do they keep warm when they are smaller than the palm of my hand? God made them to survive the winters. They glorify God just by being themselves- the joy and trust in God they convey, is hopeful.



Wherever you are, know that Jesus wants to be with you through the storm and in the sunshine too. He paid the ultimate price so that he could do that for you and me. 



He wants to be our shelter and safety, because He's the only way we'll get through life OK. He is the Way and the Truth. He is the Wonderful Counselor who wants to lead you through your trials. Others might not understand, but He does.


After big snowstorms, it is interesting to watch the snow melt from the snowbanks on the hills and mountains. The water runs down the streets and in the gutters, in small rippling waves that just keep coming, all hours of the day and night.  Just as the snow can't help running down the mountain, the Lord's love can't be stopped from flowing toward his children. We are never far from his love, because his love is the very force that gives us breath and life.





No comments:

Post a Comment