Sunday, March 22, 2020

Take Courage Quilt

A couple years ago, I saw some fabric with Bible verses on it at the store. I like sewing so I got it, not knowing what to make. A quilt with the verses in it came to mind, a mountain landscape design. I felt like a pre-schooler making a project. Knowing what a loving Father we have, I knew he would appreciate any attempt to remember Him and his words, even if a preschooler had made it. In cutting the shapes of the leaves and different layers of the landscape, I thought of God creating each of these masterpieces in nature. How much love He put into each blade of grass, each tree, each flower, every cloud, every hill and mountain- all for us. Later I was shown that when the earth was created by our Heavenly Parents, they were creating their altar, the place their sacrifice of their Son would be given. Everything in nature was created with Jesus’ sacrifice in mind, all of it was created to point to Him, and his atoning sacrifice. With all the tiny fabric pieces, I couldn’t sew them together, so I scanned and printed it on fabric through an internet company. It is a comfort to me to see the words of scripture in the quilt when my challenges are too big for me alone. I picture myself in this place. I had not planned on sharing it, but others may take comfort from it. Following I will put the scriptures that are part of the quilt. The scriptures are in italic. Starting at the bottom of the quilt:


Rock- The joy of the Lord is your strength. Nehemiah 8:10; I know that my Redeemer liveth. Job 19:25. Jesus is our strength, our Rock, our Redeemer.
Fig Tree- For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16 To me Jesus is the tree of life. I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by Me. John 14:6. Jesus is our only way to the Father. If you look closely, you will see figs on the tree.
Meadow- He makes all things beautiful in His time. Ecclesiastes 3:11. Meadow flowers take time to blossom, yet they are intricately and perfectly made. Miracles happen in the Lord’s time and for his glory. For nothing will be impossible with God. Luke 1:37. Things that are impossible to man are possible with God.
River- We walk by Faith not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7 This scripture reminded me of Peter walking on the water with Jesus. As long as his focus was on Jesus, he was able to walk on the water. When his focus changed to the waves, he began to sink. A reminder to me to focus on Jesus.
Hills- They shall call His name Emmanuel which means God With Us. Matthew 1:23 The angels told the shepherds this when they announced Jesus’ birth. "God with us" is also a description of the Lord’s walk with you and me in our challenges. Be still and know that I am GOD. Psalms 46:10 Stillness and trust in God- so overlooked. Often feel like I have to be running to the point of exhaustion before God will help me.  Being still and trusting in Him is something I need to do much more.
Mountains- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13 The mountains are the challenges we face, Jesus hikes the mountains with us, encouraging and strengthening us. He is our best guide and companion.
Clouds- My soul doth magnify the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior! Luke 1:46 This was Mary’s response when the angel told her she would bear God’s son. Mary’s rejoicing in God’s plan despite the difficulty it would mean for her is inspiring. Do not fear for I AM WITH YOU. Isaiah 41:10. This reminds me that the Lord was with the children of Israel- a cloud by day and a fire by night. He is with us too!
Sky- Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength. Deuteronomy 6:5. God’s love for us is like the blue sky, covering all of us. I hope my love and devotion for God grows to become endless like the blue sky too.

What do you see when you look at nature? What in nature reminds you of the Lord? I would love to hear!


1 comment:

  1. I love this post. When I'm in nature, what reminds me of the Lord is touching the dirt and working hard. When the Lord told Adam and Eve that they would work by the sweat of their brow it really struck me...what a gift. He knew that in connecting them to the heartbeat of the Earth, they would connect to Him more fervently than when things were provided to them so easily. I always feel praise in my heart when I pull weeds and gather out the rocks (thanking the rocks for their praise of Jesus (Luke 19:37) before putting them in my bucket).

    ReplyDelete