Thursday, August 25, 2022

Silk Threads


Have you spied silky spiderwebs looking like golden threads in the sunlight? If you look for them, they are everywhere! This summer we spotted hundreds of caterpillars dropping from maple trees, also by using silk threads. We were close to a shallow river, shaded by nearby maple trees. The sunshine reflecting off the water as it trickled over smooth rocks gave me a reason to pause and notice. In the grassy field next to the river, hundreds of little silk threads were falling from the trees. It was like a film of fine silk threads veiling everything.

Some of the threads were made by caterpillars coming down from leaves, and others were from spiders. Someone walking by might miss the silk threads if they weren't looking towards the sunlight. Both types of silks were thinly covering a lot of the trees, grass, and were floating in the air. The different purposes of the threads made me think.

Silk threads from spiders are woven to catch things- flying insects. They are part of a trap meant to take away freedom. Some spiders spin webs in the shape of domes, they look like upside-down bowls. They catch insects as they begin to fly upwards. If you were a small insect on the ground, using the sun for navigation, looking up you might mistake the golden shimmer of the spider web threads for the sun, and fly towards them. Once caught, the insects have to struggle to get free, and some never make it to freedom. The success of the web is being almost imperceptible. The nature of webs is to take flight away, trapping and leading to the death of the insects caught. 

Other silk threads are part of a caterpillar's transformation into a winged insect, a flying moth, or a butterfly. They are part of giving a caterpillar wings to fly. Seeing a leaf-munching caterpillar, we never think how many thousands of miles that slow little caterpillar may travel once it has wings. 

Some butterflies like monarch butterflies fly 3,000 miles in their migration paths. Interestingly, it takes monarch butterflies 4 generations to complete a migration circle. Each generation has a different role to play in the migration pattern than the one before it. What an amazing plan for such a little insect! Four generations is also a phrase used in the scriptures, also referring to a cycle. The silk threads of butterflies and moths lead to greater vistas and freedom than a little caterpillar could ever imagine.

Some silk threads will lead to entrapment, other silk threads will lead to freedom. Both are invisible unless they are seen in the sunshine, and both are much more abundant than is noticed at first glance.

There are a couple scriptures that mention worms: "Fear not, thou worm Jacob, and ye men of Israel; I will help thee, saith the Lord, and thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel." Isaiah 41:14. David in the Psalms also talks about a worm, "But I, a worm, am loved of no man; a reproach of man, despised of the people. . . . I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels. . . . They pierced my hands and my feet." Psalm 22: 6,14,16. This is in reference to Jesus, and his crucifixion. This link is to an interesting article on the meaning of "worm" in the Bible.


What about the invisible threads in my life? What threads are pulling on me, and what do they lead to- freedom or entrapment? 

We can feel cords of influence, things that invisibly pull on us, from people, from traditions of how we grew up, from our cell phones, entertainment, or other things- pulling us towards good or evil. Removing ourselves from webs is not easy. The Lord helps us to untangle as we ask for his help. We can ask the Lord to help us see what is His truth and light.

As I was organizing my thoughts, I wrote about the webs in my life. The Lord cautioned me, what is a web for me might not be a web for someone else. He told me not to despise what He uses to bring his children to Him. How many times I've misjudged people and situations! The Lord is working with all of us as we seek Him, and it will look different for each of us. I think we can agree that what distances us from the Lord is a web. If something is depleting your ability to take care of yourself, spouse or children, we should also ask ourselves and ask the Lord if it is acting like a web. 

The devil will try to take what is meant for good and turn it for evil. Things that are supposed to be good- family, church, service to others, all of these the devil tries to claim for himself, and uses them to manipulate people and distance them from God and each other. The Lord takes what is evil and transforms it into something good and beautiful. How wonderful is our God!

Webs come in different shapes. Some webs might be lies we grew up believing. Maybe we believed we had nothing to contribute, and shouldn't speak up, or rock the boat. Maybe we believed we weren't loved, or smart, or that in some way we are beyond hope. Other webs might be of our own making,  destructive patterns like anger or impatience or trying to control others. We all are caught in more webs than we realize! 

When an insect is in a spider's web, the movement of the insect is felt by the spider. When we move, we also cause movements in the invisible threads around us. Don't be discouraged if you are trying to overcome a web or lie, and all of a sudden it gets harder. Light overcomes darkness.

A few days ago I went on a walk with my kids. We noticed many more webs. I asked, how do you tell the difference between a silk thread that is a trap, or a silk thread that leads to more freedom? 

The Lord always respects our ability to choose. We don't feel trapped or manipulated when we are following the Lord, we feel freedom. If you feel that you have no choice in a matter, or that you are forced to do what doesn't seem right, that isn't how the Lord works. He always respects our ability to choose. He makes a way where there is no way!  

I was on a walk thinking about these connections and silk threads. I asked the Lord, "What connects me to you?" He answered, "My love for you." As the answer "My love for you " came into my mind, the next thing in my path was a maple tree. The stems connecting the leaves to the branches stood out to me because they were red. I knew the red stems were part of my answer.


I had seen red stems on a quaking aspen, just a couple weeks earlier. The red stems remind me that Jesus' connection and love for me is marked by his sacrifice, he gave his life for me. The scripture about Jesus being the vine came to mind, "I am the vine, ye are the branches." John 15:5. The verse before states, "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me." John 15:4.
 



This was a different tree a couple years ago, also with red stems connecting the leaves to the branches. 

A few feet away from the first tree, was another maple tree with helicopter seeds- the seeds that spin like helicopters in the wind. The seeds look like wings to fly. The Lord gives us wings to fly! He gives us freedom.

I looked up the scripture about Jesus being the truth, the truth that sets us free. "Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed: And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32. Later in that chapter, Jesus said, "I am the light of the world; he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." John 8:12. I love those words about Jesus, he is the light that makes darkness scatter. It isn't anything we do, it's Him. 

Interestingly, the chapter where Jesus says he is the truth that sets us free is the same chapter where the woman is caught in adultery and brought to Jesus. She was definitely caught in a trap, one that might have gotten her killed. 

"And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst of the people, [it sounds like they were trying to make her an example. What a horrible position for her to be in!] they say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. [Where was the man involved in this? It is interesting that only she is made an example.] Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned; but what sayest thou? This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out of the temple one by one. beginning at the eldest, even unto the last; and Jesus was left alone, and the woman was standing in the midst. When Jesus had raised up himself, and saw none of her accusers, and the woman standing, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee; go, and sin no more. And the woman glorified God from that hour, and believed on his name." John 8:4-11

Jesus is so quick to forgive! He didn't rehash what she already knew, he just forgave her. That last sentence caught my attention. She glorified God from that hour. What a beautiful statement about how forgiveness makes you feel and how it changes you. How quickly her life changed! I wish I could have heard her story, and heard how she glorified God. Someday maybe we will.

Do I appreciate Jesus' love and sacrifice for me?  Do I ask Jesus for help in getting out of the webs that I am in? Have you felt Jesus freeing you from burdens? How has He changed your life? I hope these are the conversations we have with each other- how has Jesus changed your life?

How has Jesus changed my life? Jesus helps me to be better than I am, forgiving me so many times! Jesus gives me peace when I feel anxious or troubled. He helps me understand what is confusing and counsels me when I don't know how to handle challenges and relationships. Jesus' advice is wise and loving, He really is a Wonderful Counselor! When fitting a pattern is something I push against, Jesus tells me it's OK, and He works with me wherever I am. Knowing Jesus loves me and that He sees me means everything to me. Jesus created so many things to teach me about Him, the trees, the sun, the clouds, they all testify of Jesus and his love for us. It has been liberating to learn that I don't need to run faster and do more and more to earn his love and blessings. He loves me not because I have earned it, but because that is who He is, He is a loving God that loves to bless his children.

Song: Let Me Tell You 'Bout My Jesus by Anne Wilson


Let Me Tell You 'Bout My Jesus   Lyrics

… Are you past the point of weary?

Is your burden weighin' heavy?

Is it all too much to carry?

Let me tell you 'bout my Jesus

Do you feel that empty feeling?

'Cause shame's done all its stealin'

And you're desperate for some healin'

Let me tell you 'bout my Jesus

… He makes a way where there ain't no way

Rises up from an empty grave

Ain't no sinner that He can't save

Let me tell you 'bout my Jesus

His love is strong and His grace is free

And the good news is I know that He

Can do for you what He's done for me

Let me tell you 'bout my Jesus

And let my Jesus change your life

… Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Amen

Amen

… Who can wipe away the tears

From broken dreams and wasted years

And tell the past to disappear? Oh

Let me tell you 'bout my Jesus

And all the wrong turns that you would

Go and undo if you could

Who can work it all for your good

Let me tell you about my Jesus

… He makes a way where there ain't no way

Rises up from an empty grave

Ain't no sinner that He can't save

Let me tell you 'bout my Jesus

His love is strong and His grace is free

And the good news is I know that He

Can do for you what He's done for me

Let me tell you 'bout my Jesus

And let my Jesus change your life

… Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Amen

Amen, Amen

… Who would take my cross to Calvary?

Pay the price for all my guilty?

Who would care that much about me?

Let me tell you 'bout my Jesus, oh

… He makes a way where there ain't no way

Rises up from an empty grave

Ain't no sinner that He can't save

Let me tell you 'bout my Jesus

His love is strong and His grace is free

And the good news is I know that He

Can do for you what He's done for me

Let me tell you 'bout my Jesus

And let my Jesus change your life

… Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Hallelujah, amen

Amen

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Let my Jesus change your life

No comments:

Post a Comment